Create a Meebo Chat Room
Namecheap.com - Cheap domain name registration, renewal and transfers - Free SSL Certificates - Web Hosting


LAS VEGAS – Miguel Cotto has the power but not the speed. Manny Pacquiao, the pound-for-pound champion, has both.

In Wednesday’s final press conference, the media had a field day at the Hollywood Theater of the MGM Grand, and threw so many questions that both boxers almost ran out of words to say.

Cotto, the WBO weltwerweight champion, spent lesser time with the media. It was Pacquiao, the challenger from the Philippines, who took most of their time, gamely fielding questions regarding boxing, politics and his dog.

Pacquiao referred to his speed, and his power as well, as the key to the fight, set this Saturday at the MGM. ( Related stories P22, A-34)

He said moving up in weight, as a champion in the flyweight, super-bantamweight, featherweight, super-featherweight, lightweight and junior welterweight divisions, wasn’t much of a problem because all along he was able to maintain his speed.

“I started at 105 pounds but now my speed is still the same,” Pacquiao told a pack of mediamen that stayed with him up in the stage after following the one-hour press conference.

“My speed is still there. My goal in boxing is to keep my speed even if I move up in weight because if you have speed, you have power,” added the Pinoy icon, who will face Cotto at 145 lb, two pounds short of the welterweight limit.

Pacquiao admitted that Cotto, who turned 29 last Oct. 29, is the stronger fighter, practically born as a welterweight.


“But of course, we believe in our power, too. We believe in ourselves that we have the advantage,” said Pacquiao, too fast and too strong he stopped David Diaz, Oscar dela Hoya and Ricky Hatton like he was the young Mike Tyson.

But Cotto, the underdog, said he’s ready for anything, adding that Pacquiao made the big mistake in moving up to challenge him in his territory.

Cotto trained nearly three months for Pacquiao, hoping for a win that would put him back at the center of everything after a bitter loss to Antonio Margarito in 2008, his first defeat as a pro, and a close, shaky win over Josh Clottey last June.

He said his conditioning coach, Phil Landman, is making everything possible.

“In our camp, he always comes with a lot of feeling to work. He makes me work better. I feel like I’ve never felt before in my last fights. He makes me work very well. With more energy and more power,” said Cotto.

A reporter said he visited Cotto in his recent workout, and found the heavy-handed boxer a little stronger than he was in the past.

“It’s because we work better than before. I’m pretty happy and comfortable to be here. And I trained like never before because I know the skills of the man. But we created our gameplan for the fight. I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be a great night,” he said.

Pacquiao looked more relax during the press conference, and in his face-off with Cotto, in front of a hundred cameras, he couldn’t take the smile off his face.

He was asked about his political plans.

“There is no connection with my political career here because this is boxing,” he said. “But yes, it’s (his running for Congress in 2010) because I want to help the people by giving them livelihood even if the priority is peace.”

Then he was asked about the old story wherein he said he ran away from home because his father ate his dog. The story caught the attention of many, and with the question he had the chance to clear it up.

“It was my neighbor who ate my dog,” he said of what turned out to be “a good story that never happened.”

Pacquiao was running out of things to say when Top Rank’s publicist, Fred Sternburg, ended the session.

And Pacquiao was just glad it did.

“Grabe. Sumakit ang panga ko (That was too much. My jaw hurts),” he said.

0 comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Namecheap.com - Cheap domain name registration, renewal and transfers - Free SSL Certificates - Web Hosting