Create a Meebo Chat Room
Namecheap.com - Cheap domain name registration, renewal and transfers - Free SSL Certificates - Web Hosting

MANILA, Philippines – Oscar De La Hoya, one of Manny Pacquiao’s high-profile ring victims, sees the Filipino icon’s winning streak ending this time.

In a blog he wrote for The Ring, De La Hoya, who recently retired from boxing, said Pacquiao will be in for a rude surprise when he faces Puerto Rican bomber Miguel Angel Cotto on Nov. 14 (Nov. 15 in Manila).

“Now that the fight is getting closer, I’ve changed my mind about who I think will win. At first, I had Manny Pacquiao. I was a firm believer that Pacquiao’s speed was going to neutralize Miguel Cotto, especially after Cotto’s performance against Joshua Clottey in June,” the former multiple-division champion wrote.

“Then, as the fight was getting closer and closer and I thought more about it, I’m now convinced Cotto will win. The reason is, first, nobody looks good against Clottey. He’s a difficult, strong, in-your-face type of fighter. And Cotto had that gash over his eye the whole fight. I thought he did an excellent job in light of that,” he added.



De La Hoya said that at welterweight, Pacquiao does not pack enough punching power to be able to knock out a full-blown 147-pounder like Cotto. He cited his own welterweight duel with Pacquiao last December, where he was mercilessly battered by the Filipino but still managed to stay on his feet until his corner stopped the bout at the end of the eighth round.

“Cotto has a good chin and a big heart. He’s a natural welterweight who hits hard and is also smart and fast. Pacquiao doesn’t hit hard enough to knock anyone out in the welterweight division. I’m basing that on my fight against Pacquiao. I could’ve stood there and put my face in front of him and he couldn’t have hurt me,” he said.

De La Hoya had so much faith in Cotto that he thinks the Puerto Rican will be able to withstand whatever Pacquiao brings to the table.

“A lot of people are counting him (Cotto) out after his last performance. I think he’s the real deal, though. I’ve seen his skills and I’ve seen his power. He’s proved himself against tough, rugged guys. He’s proved himself against slick boxers,” he continued.

And the Golden Boy’s forecast? A late-round stoppage for Cotto.

“I think Cotto is a smart fighter. I think he’ll get through those first few rounds and in a smart way he’ll walk down Pacquiao and possibly stop him in the later rounds,” De La Hoya predicted.

Source: philstar.com

0 comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Namecheap.com - Cheap domain name registration, renewal and transfers - Free SSL Certificates - Web Hosting