Create a Meebo Chat Room
Namecheap.com - Cheap domain name registration, renewal and transfers - Free SSL Certificates - Web Hosting


Oakland Boxing Examiner | Ramon Aranda

Pacquiao oozing with confidence

We’re about a week and a half away from the biggest fight of the year, when Manny Pacquiao faces Miguel Cotto for his WBO welterweight title. Despite all the camp issues that have sprung up, Manny is as confident as ever. During a media workout this week Manny pointed out that he wasn’t worried about moving up in weight.

“I wasn’t worried when I accepted the fight with Oscar De La Hoya and I wasn’t worried when I accepted this fight with Cotto,” said Pacquiao.

Yes the weight issue has been brought up once again as it seems to every time Manny fights a naturally bigger foe. However, the results have spoken for themselves and thus far; it appears that Pacquiao has no issues getting his body accustomed to a higher weight class.

Weight issues aside, the most important thing for Manny is to carefully study Miguel Cotto and that’s exactly what he’s been doing in the weeks leading up to the fight.

"I consider myself a student of boxing, a philosopher so to speak, and my philosophy is to keep learning."

“If you have a math test on Tuesday, you are not going to do very well if you study science on Monday. You have to study for math. It’s the same thing in boxing. You can’t just go to the gym and work out every day and hit bags. That’s not enough. You need to study tapes of your opponent. You need to design and develop different game plans for you opponent. You just need to be prepared."

Manny also reiterated that his relationship with Freddie Roach is as good as it’s ever been. We’ve seen some head butting during their camp in the Philippines but that seems to simply be a part of the game.


"Freddie has been a father to me, a brother to me and an all-time my best friend. I know he always has my best interest at heart. And he has always been there for me."

Being at the Wild Card Gym has seemingly been a much needed boost for both Freddie and Manny as his focus has been spot on. From what I’ve gathered through various sources who have seen Manny in training, the junior welterweight champ is all business.

The final piece of business it seems is for Pacquiao to accomplish a little bit of boxing history – seven world titles in seven different weight classes. He would become the first fighter in history to achieve such a feat and for Manny; it would be extra special for it to be done by a Filipino.

As for a prediction from the ever so confident Pacquiao? Well he remains a bit coy…

“Will I knock him out? My lips are sealed" (zippering his lips closed with his fingers),” giggled Pacquiao.

Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-24959-Oakland-Boxing-Examiner~y2009m11d5-Pacquiao-oozing-with-confidence

0 comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Namecheap.com - Cheap domain name registration, renewal and transfers - Free SSL Certificates - Web Hosting